Homemade Veggie Pizza
Recently, P’s cousin B was in town. After a few days in a row of eating out, we were ready to save some money and eat at home, but wanted a meal that was still “fun.” A.k.a. pizza!
We used the bread machine to knead ourselves up some dough, following the Basic Pizza Dough recipe in this book:
Ingredients, per 17×11 pizza crust
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
Refer to the book for details, but in short, we put all the ingredients in the bread machine on the “dough” cycle (19 min on our machine) and allowed them to mix and knead. After taking the dough out, we spread it out on a foil-lined baking sheet and allowed it to rise for a few minutes.
While the machine was going, and later as P was preparing the dough, I cut up the toppings.
Ingredients, per pizza
- 1 pizza crust (recipe above)
- 8 tbsp pasta sauce of your choice
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 handful fresh spinach leaves
- 4 medium Shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp marinated roasted red peppers
- 1 tbsp fresh Italian herbs (I used basil and oregano), cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, spread out the crust, leaving the edges thicker than the center. Drip the olive oil over the crust and spread using the back of a spoon.
Spread the pasta sauce over the crust, leaving some space at the edge. Add a layer of shredded mozzarella, followed by the remaining toppings.
Bake for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, cut, and serve immediately.