Rajma is an Indian curry dish made with dark red kidney beans and simmered in a tomato & onion sauce. Its thicker base makes it a perfect (hearty) winter dish. Combine with rice to get a complete protein!
Ingredients (for approx. 2.5 servings)
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) dark red kidney beans
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1/2 tsp. ginger, minced
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- garam masala
- whole cumin
1) In pot, add drained kidney beans and a pinch of turmeric. Add enough water to immerse and cook on low/medium heat (NOT boil) until beans are soft and start to split, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
2) In a separate pot, saute onion and ginger with whole jeera on low/medium heat until onions turn translucent.
3) Add about 4 tablespoons of tomato paste (if opening a can, freeze the rest as a lump in a ziploc bag for next time!). Work the paste with the sauteed mix until they start to combine.
4) Add another pinch of turmeric, pinch of salt, pinch of garam masala, and work together. You may need to lower the heat at this point to avoid burning the paste.
5) Add contents of kidney bean pot, and then add enough water to at least fully immerse everything.
6) Bring to a simmer and keep stirring, checking for the correct consistency and for the tomato paste to lose its “pure tomato” flavor. Let it cook together on low/medium heat for about 15-20 minutes.